[FreeNX-kNX] why should i have nxclient on my nx-server?

Christian Fischer Christian.Fischer at Fischundfischer.com
Tue Oct 12 00:17:40 UTC 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 22:36, Gian Filippo Pinzari wrote:

> The client package contains the libraries that are used by
> both nxserver and nxclient. nxclient is also used to display
> the dialogs interacting with the server, as for example the
> broadcast messages that nxserver can deliver to all the con-
> nected users or the "Close/Suspend/Cancel" dialog.

Some questions, i'm a little bit confused now.
Quoting Kurt:
[...]
Also, some of the code which makes GUI messages appear
to the user interface are embedded in the client.
[...]

The entirely question was: "Do i need nxclient on the server machine? (And
why)
Kurt sad "Yes, you need it" if i want to have full server functionality. That
means for me if i have not installed nxclient on the server machine then i
have no message boxes on the users client.
You sad that "nxclient is also used to DISPLAY the dialogs interacting with
the server, as for example the broadcast messages that nxserver can deliver
to all the connected users or the "Close/Suspend/Cancel" dialog." That means
for me that this is doing the client running on users terminal. (who should
do that anything else).

Well, the whole thing means for me if i have installed all the necessary libs
i could work without a client on servers machine. Fabian has written an
"client fake" which is working with xdialog, most probably to display
messages on users Xdisplay, and that means i need such one (nxclient or a
"xdialog2users_interface_redirector") to have messageboxes on users side.

I think i need both, the libs and the client fake (or the client with shipped
libs), is it right?

Sorry, this should never be such never ending story.

Next question: nxagent won't start because of missing fixed font. I have no
debugging output because of terminating freenxserver when starting with
LOGGING=1, the main problem ;-)
I think nxagent is looking for fixed font on servers side (nxsever, not
X-server), is it right?

Christain