[FreeNX-kNX] Best way to run nx client on yellow dog linux

Paul Eden peden at americanphysicians.net
Tue Oct 5 19:04:07 UTC 2004

I have a lot of imacs and power pc G4 machines that I would love to
convert from Mac OS to a type of thin client.

Since the nics do not support pxe and there are no floppy drives in
these machines diskless clients are not possible except for a cd-based
OS.   I was thinking of installing Yellow Dog linux and using the
nxclient to connect upon boot automatically (via startup scripts) to our
LAN FreeNX server.

Yellow Dog linux is a redhat clone for power pc processors and works
very well.

What is the best way to get an nxclient for yellow dog?

Is there a live-cd based distro that runs on power pc, has a working
nxclient and can save session connection information across reboots (my
clients will not be able or willing to reconfigure the connection every
time they reboot)?

Does anyone have a good howto to compile the nomachine sources and get a
working nxclient?

Is there a ppc version of kNX that might run on yellow dog?  I tried to
compile the source rpm for kNX, but had trouble.

Thanks,

Paul