Rewrite of an unofficial Readability extensions to QML

Eric Brunel eric.brunel at netcourrier.com
Mon Oct 24 07:50:02 BST 2022

Hello Juraj,

There is a Toolbar button as well as Statusbar button. You need to
manually add it to the toolbar. Or it will show in the "Tools" toolbar
manu (with a distorted string 'Readimport QtQuick.Window 2.2ability' my
typo, will fix soon.).

So, right click somewhere on the top toolabr and select "Configure
toolbar" and you should see the "Readability" extension there.
The button is not great and has its own pitfalls but it is as it is at
the moment and somehow works.

PS: The context menu option is a fallback.

Ah OK, I didn't get that. Thanks!

> I did try it too with the Falkon version from my Linux distro's repos,
> which is an old v3.1.0, and it wouldn't work, but I guess things have
> evolved a bit since then and it's normal.

V3.1.0 probably does not have ability to load extensions from user home
directory and they might need to be placed in the global (system)
directory..

Something like:
/usr/lib/qt/plugins/falkon/
/usr/lib/plugins/falkon/

Might depend on your distro.

I did try that, but no luck: whether I install it only for the current user or system-wide, I always get the same message. I launched Falkon from the command line and this is the message I get:

Falied to create component for Readability plugin: file:///path/to/falkon/plugins/qml/readability:-1 file to open is a directory

"Falied" is not a typo of mine, it is actually written this way. The message error is the same in both cases.

But no big deal actually: my distro is openSuse Linux and I'm still in version Leap 15.3, when the latest stable version is Leap 15.4. So I'll probably do an upgrade soon, and I've seen there's a package for Falkon 22.08.2 built for it, so it should work much better.

Thanks again for your very helpful answers!

Regards.

--

 Eric