Enforcing screen lock policies for RHEL 7 / KDE 4?

Kodiak Firesmith kfiresmith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 18:10:37 UTC 2017

I've gotten only a bit farther along in my progress.  I've set this in
/etc/kde4rc for testing:

[ScreenSaver][$i]
Enabled=true
LegacySaverEnabled=false
Lock=true
LockGrace=30000
PlasmaEnabled=false
Timeout=60

Problems:
I've tried removing LockGrace, setting it to 0, setting it to 5, etc.  No
matter what, the grace period seems to be indefinite.  The simple
screenlock will present when the activity idles for 60 seconds, but no
amount of time afterward will actually enforce the lock screen.  Once you
touch the mouse, even 3 or 4 minutes later, the screen lock disappears and
your desktop session comes back.

Switching users is the only case where the Simple Lock screen actually
forces you to enter a password.

Any ideas?

Also, what's up with the LockGrace being set in milliseconds and the
Timeout being set in seconds?

Thanks a bunch!
 - Kodiak