Enforcing screen lock policies for RHEL 7 / KDE 4?

Kodiak Firesmith kfiresmith at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 14:23:20 UTC 2017

Hello Reinhard,  thanks for the reply.

The odd thing with path searching in KDE 4 is that it doesn't seem to work
the way I would think based on the output of the kde4-config command.  For
example:

kde4-config --path config
/home/kodiak/.kde/share/config/:/etc/kde/:/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/:/usr/share/config/

^^The above made me think I could just put a file called kscreensaverrc in
/etc/kde/ and have it be read.  Not so.  But despite not being in the
config path, I *can* put the required stanza into /etc/kde4rc and have it
read in properly and apply.

In the Red Hat way of doing things at least, not sure on Debian and such,
we use /etc/ extensively so my hope was that I could at least add custom
config files in /etc/kde/share/config/ that would be global for an entire
host.

I'm not sure I understand completely about your statement on setting a
custom config path for all users, I am guessing a supplemental script in
addition to /etc/profile.d/kde.sh, that sets something similar to what is
exported for QT_PLUGIN_PATH but for config files?

If that is the case, then wouldn't a user be able to easily break out of
that by modifying their own environment variables for the configuration
path after logging in?  I really think the key to being able to confidently
assert that settings are forced would be to have these settings set,
enforced, and immutable completely separate from the user's particular
environment (thus an augment to /etc/kde4rc or similar)...

But regardless of where I end up setting them, there is absolutely
something wonky that I can't sort out where 'LockGrace=$milliseconds" is
simply not working (the simple lock comes on w/ a password prompt, but no
matter how much time passes, the screen just opens right up at the first
mouse movement...)

Thanks again!
 - Kodiak