shared spreadsheet | tools used for measuring energy consumption of software

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Thu Apr 14 13:00:32 BST 2022

Hi all,

after yesterday's engaging conversation, I decided to start a shared
spreadsheet to collect information about the tools used for measuring
the energy consumption of software all in one place:

   https://lite.framacalc.org/energymeasurementtools

Please feel free to add additional tools or any information you have
about the ones already listed at the above link.

As a group I suggest we focus on 2-3 tools at most. Otherwise we might
lose focus pretty quickly. But knowing what is out there will, of
course, be helpful.

Re community lab at KDAB: We are planning on a setup with the Gude
Expert Power Control 1202 Series (row 2) both because it is recommended
by Blauer Engel and Achim has prepared a GNU/Linux compatible Python
script for monitoring results.

I would also like to have a setup with the inexpensive power plug Gosund
SP111 to do a systematic comparison.

@Sven you had extra external tools we might also want to try out --
perhaps you can add that to the list and provide some info?

Cheers,
Joseph

P.s. Achim has started a spreadsheet for emulation tools for standard
usage scenarios as well:

   https://lite.framacalc.org/emulators-9spo

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
BE4FOSS Project and Community Manager (KDE Eco)

---
KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!

Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @BE4FOSS at mastodon.social
Mailing list: