KDE Eco community meetup | Wed. 13 April 19-20 CEST

Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss joseph at kde.org
Mon Apr 11 09:25:29 BST 2022

The 2nd Wednesday of the month is already this week -- and so is our
monthly KDE Eco community meetup! :)

_Short Overview_

*When*: Wednesday 13 April 19:00-20:00 CEST (UTC+2) (ics event attached)

*Where*: https://meet.kde.org/b/jos-l59-2i1-9yt

*Topic*: What have we done with KDE Eco so far, and where do we go next!

This will be an opportunity to give input on what is working well and
what not, and what you would like to see the community achieve in the
future. I will also include several calls to actions for those who want
to get more involved (see below)!

_Details_

As we enter the middle phase of the BMUV-funded BE4FOSS project, it is a
good time to take a look back at what we have done so far, and to take a
look forward to where we go next. This is an opportunity to give input
on what is working well and what not, and what you would like to see the
community achieve in the future.

I will include several calls to actions for those who want to get more
involved. How can you help? Here are some ideas -- do you have any other
suggestions?

* Energy Consumption Measurements
   - Join us at the Sprint in May/June to set up KDAB measurement lab
   - Video documentation of the lab set up process for an online course
(e.g., at openHPI [1])
   - Set up local measurement lab in your region
   - Prepare Standard Usage Scenarios for your KDE/Free Software project
for coming measure-athon
   - Systematic comparison of budget power meters with professional ones
   - Tooling for automation of measurements in the community lab

* Maximizing Renewable Energy Usage/Reducing CO2 Emissions
   - Encourage low-carbon renewable energy sources for shift-able tasks
(e.g., system updates) [2,3]

* Efficient Coding
   - Write guidelines for efficient coding (e.g., 10 Dos/Don’ts)

* Blue Angel & Other Eco-Labels
   - Prepare applications for Blue Angel
   - Pursue Green Public Procurement initiatives to encourage adoption
of eco-certified Free Software
   - Prepare applications for Hong Kong Green Label Scheme "Green IT
Software" [4]

* Logos/Promo
   - Design KDE Eco Konqi :)
   - Design KDE Eco badge for linking energy measurement data to
KDE/Free Software products

* Your ideas!

Looking forward to seeing many of you on Wednesday.

Your community organizer,
Joseph

[1] https://open.hpi.de/

[2] See carbon data via European Transmission Operators (hat tip to Sven
Köhler): https://transparency.entsoe.eu/

[3] See also this clip (00:16:59-00:17:40) about energy supplies for
data centers (in German):
https://www.tele-task.de/lecture/video/9108/#t=1019

[4] https://greencouncil.net/hkgls/GL006004_rev0.pdf

Notes from past meetups and Sprints can be found here:

https://invent.kde.org/joseph/be4foss/-/tree/master/community-meetups

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
BE4FOSS Project and Community Manager (KDE Eco)

---
KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!

Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @BE4FOSS at mastodon.social
Mailing list: