Packaging of Noto Sans

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 11:51:28 GMT 2017

On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Eric Hameleers <alien at slackware.com> wrote:
> The download of the full Noto font family (a single ZIP archive) is 1.1 GB.
> I think that is not an acceptible size for distros. It is unaceptible for
> Slackware in any case, as we still do single-DVD releases.
>
> Rather I would like to see *specific* written-down requirements for the
> (sub-)set of fonts that the Plasma desktop would like to have present.
> I think that burying this information *only* in CMake files is not helpful
> for packagers.
>
> Please do not make certain fonts mandatory. That choice should ultimately
> remain with the user, not the developer.

all the fonts remain settable by the user, this is about getting the
full default experience the ui was designed with.
Which is noto with the base weights and styles in, which are:
* regular
* bold
* light
* italic
* bold italic
* light italic

if the distribution really wants to provide a different default in
fonts, please make sure the chosen font, whatever it is, provides the
variants of the list above.

--
Marco Martin