Packaging of Noto Sans

Eric Hameleers alien at slackware.com
Thu Nov 23 11:21:09 GMT 2017

The download of the full Noto font family (a single ZIP archive) is
1.1 GB. I think that is not an acceptible size for distros. It is
unaceptible for Slackware in any case, as we still do single-DVD
releases.

Rather I would like to see *specific* written-down requirements for
the (sub-)set of fonts that the Plasma desktop would like to have
present.
I think that burying this information *only* in CMake files is not
helpful for packagers.

Please do not make certain fonts mandatory. That choice should
ultimately remain with the user, not the developer.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017, Harald Sitter wrote:

> easy solution to making sure distros (and users) have things is to
> search for them during cmake stage and report them as missing runtime
> dep ;)
>
> `fc-list 'Noto Sans:style=Light'`
>
> e.g. Light was apparently only added 2 Months ago [1], so I think we
> can't really assume that everyone has it
>
> [1] https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts/commits/master/hinted/NotoSans-Light.ttf
>
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> As you know, the Plasma shell recommends as default the Noto sans font by
>> google for our recommended look and feel.
>>
>> However i seen in some distributions, while The basic Noto font is installed
>> and used, only few variants are packaged compared to the Google release at
>> https://www.google.com/get/noto/#sans-lgc
>>
>> In particular, we need the "Light" variant (NotoSans-Light.ttf) as we use a
>> "light" weight for the plasma Calendar and Systemtray headers and all the
>> "header" components in Kirigami.
>> this is how the plasma calendar looks without the noto light font installed:
>> http://embra.edinburghlinux.co.uk/~jr/tmp/Screenshot_20171123_102100.png
>> this is how it should look:
>> https://imgur.com/a/sNdgI
>>
>> --