Generating KDE development dependencies

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Wed Jan 11 12:56:49 GMT 2017

On Monday 21 November 2016 16:38:28 Aleix Pol wrote:
> To that end, I've been working on this system here [1] that should
> allow us to create a shallow package that:
> - depends on all the tooling required (e.g. compilers)
> - depends on all the frameworks (or their -devel counterparts if it's the
> case) - installs an appstream file that suggests some other things to
> install (like kdevelop/kate/plasma sdk)

Aleix, this sounds like an excellent idea (that is, a one-package install for
"give me a viable KDE development environment").

> Do you think your distro can adopt this?

For KDE-FreeBSD, FreeBSD is traditionally developer-friendly, so the tooling
is mostly there already (e.g. compiler and headers -- but not necessarily
cmake).

> Patches and ideas are welcome!

So it looks like this is supposed to (help) generate a (meta-)package for a
distro, that depends on the development tools and the KDE (development) bits?
And it should do that based on information in this repo, so that there's a
consistent kde-applications-development package to install all over the place?

FreeBSD is Makefile-centric for building packages. I could hand you a Makefile
template that looks something like this:

<boilerplate>
USE_KDE += @@KDE_BITS@@
USES += @@KDE_TOOLS@@
<boilerplate>

Assuming the tooling in this development-dependencies repo knows some list of
kde-bits names *and* some list of development-tool names, then it's sufficient
to map those names to FreeBSD-centric names for substitution in those @@-
places.

Would that be useful at all?

[ade]