How to handle KDE not respecting YOUR distros requirements?

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Mar 28 14:34:48 BST 2016

On Sunday 27 March 2016 15:34:07 Richard Brown wrote:

> We've seen this trend mirrored even within openSUSE. Even as KDE with
> the default option in our installer, over recent years we've
> transitioned from a strong 'majority KDE' distribution to one where
> KDE is now used by less than 50% of our userbase.

Could you share the source for these numbers? Getting data about user numbers
is always a challenge, especially for upstream projects, so this would be
interesting for many people, I suppose.

> Advertising through software capability only speaks to a very narrow
> market, and problems with software quality erode that market
> dreadfully quickly. I think it's safe to say KDE has had severe
> problems with software quality lately, and I do not think that putting
> all of the responsibility of testing onto distributions is a sensible
> strategy to turn that around.

I think it would be helpful to be a bit more concrete here. Which bugs lead
you to the conclusion that there is a problem with software quality? Having
something concrete here would make it easier to work together on fixing the
issues and identify which kind of testing would help with preventing issues in
the first place.