How to handle KDE not respecting YOUR distros requirements?

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Mon Mar 28 12:17:49 BST 2016

On Montag, 28. März 2016 03:49:24 CEST Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > If Plasma is not one stack, I think some guidance for distributions would
> > be beneficial. I think that currently Debian Qt/KDE team tries to package
> > as much as they can (which is *lots*).
>
> So now it looks like we have at least contributors from two distributions
> who  would like more guidance. Let's hear what others have to say, too.

Please do not read my oppinion as being official for the Debian Qt/KDE team. I
helped a bit here and there, lurk on the IRC channel, but the actual packaging
work is done by others.

I invited them to this list, lets see.

What I gathered so far, that the actual packaging isn´t that much of an issue.
Maxy automated most of this and has scripts that fetch upstream source and
build packages in batch – some days he uploads 50+ packages into Debian within
a few hours. Yet where it comes short and where the team wants help is – I
actually asked Maxy about it: Testing the compiled packages, triaging bugs.
Currently often packages are just build / install tested, from what I
gathered. Thats why I try to help in that area. In the transition period from
GCC 4 to 5 and KDE SC 4 to Plasma / KF 5 quite some time often dependencies
have been missing to make things work. And often it appeared to me that
maintainers where unaware that these dependencies are required until users
reported about missing functionality. I don´t have the Debian bug report
numbers at hand but I can search some examples if need be.

Right now its a bit difficult for me tough to help with testing Debian
packaging, since most of the new packages are in experimental, waiting for
transition of Qt 5.6.1 from experimental into unstable – for some reason
Lisandro and others do not like to migrate 5.6.0 into unstable, as far as I
gathered due to some bug(s). I also help KDEPIM upstream testing a bit and so
have self-compiled KDE frameworks + KDEPIM, so its not that easy for me to
test things with stock distro state at the moment. I´d love to be able to
build KDEPIM on top of distro framework packages, so I can just have KDEPIM in
a newer state and everything else in distro state, but back then I have been
told that may or may not work, cause KDEPIM git master may require stuff from
newer framework git stuff as well. Also upstream devs modularize most of
KDEPIM into frameworks as well currently, so it becomes more and more
difficult to just build KDEPIM – and not all of KDE Frameworks 5 – on top of
distro stuff. Due to some version conflict / bug I even can´t start a new
Plasma session unless I temporarily rename the directory with self-build KDE
Frameworks + KDEPIM. After I logged in, I can activate my self-build stuff
again, but during login it just hangs and fades to black at a moment when it
is activated via the script in ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env or so. After I
didn´t see anything obvious in ~/.xsession-errors I gave up on debugging it
and just hope that with newer Debian framework packages my self-compiled
frameworks + KDEPIM will not stop session login from working anymore. Also I
need to use self compiled KDEPIM due to backwards incompatible changes in
Akonadi + using 15.12 KDEPIM + Akonadi packages from Debian experimental would
uninstall KMyMoney which I use a lot due to removal of Akonadi 4 related
packages. To make that story short: My own current setup is quite a mess and
that does allow for defining a clear setting for testing.

From that I personally got the impression that the current Plasma 5 + ton of
frameworks state with the current state of documentation what needs what in
which version does make it more difficult to ensure a sane state of the build
packages.

For Debian the biggest challenge currently appears to be to get all the new
stuff into unstable to make it easier to test for users. And since this is
like so for some months already, I am pretty sure the Qt/KDE team faces some
challenges here. From what I gathered the next thing is to have Qt 5.6.1 in
unstable as a prerequiste for pushing updated framework and plasma packages
there.

I do consider testing things in a VM, but its challenging to make real
production data for testing available to the VM. My laptop SSDs do not have
enough space for example to copy over my local maildir folders for KDEPIM for
example. At least for basic desktop stuff I can test it tough. Still having
things in Debian experimental makes it more difficult to ensure I have all KDE
Frameworks + Plasma packages upgraded. In KDE SC 4 times I mostly could look
at the usual metapackages, but with KDE Frameworks the amount of packages to
check for becomes confusingly high.

Thanks,
--
Martin