What I want from distributions

Bhushan Shah bhush94 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 05:44:22 BST 2016

Hello,

Something I always wanted to understand and research was how things
are packaged in distribution xyz. With a upstream developer hat it
would sound pretty much odd that why I would need this information.
But this information is really useful. Lets see examples:

Scenario 1:

- I receive bug report about something not working in distribution xyz
- But it is working totally fine for me in distribution abc and my
self compiled setup
- I realize if some magic flag -DO_MAGIC is not enabled that can happen
- I've no way to verify my theory ..... meh

Scenario 2:

- I want to look at version of dependency or say KDE Frameworks
version against which my software is compiled.. or if you provide
binaries for git builds what git sha specific dependencies is at it

Scenario 3:

- I want to look how you are splitting packages, or which binary
package contains the files provided by upstream source

There are many use cases and scenarios like that but point is
currently I've no way to look at this information without Googling
terms like "abcd packaging kde" or pinging some packager in IRC
channel. I want to propose that we try to improve this, lets make a
Wiki page on community.kde.org or somewhere.

I invite distributions to add some basic information about:
- where can I find the relevant packaging for source package
- If possible build log for your distribution
- if possible link to the page or some documentation where one can
find how to make your distributions package locally.

If you have any other opinions on what other information should be
added in this, please add it to list.

Thanks!

PS: Pretty much late to party I know.. I did subscribe bit later

--
Bhushan Shah

http://bhush9.github.io
IRC Nick : bshah on Freenode