Akonadi 4 to 5 transition (was: (Re: [Kde-pim] Qt 4 Builds)

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Mar 27 17:09:34 BST 2016

Cc´ing distro list as thats IMHO another important topic, where upstream
in my oppinion is not actually what I call distro-friendly.

On Sonntag, 27. März 2016 16:30:19 CEST Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Sunday, 2016-03-27, 15:31:47, Martin Koller wrote:

> > > I vote for #1 too.
> > > We will not create more release from kdepim4, no distro uses it even
> > > debian :)
> >
> > The latest openSuse (Leap 42.1) ships the Qt4 based kdepim, although it
> > uses plasma5 desktop.
>
> Debian does that too.
> It seems that upgrading KDE PIM would upgrade Akonadi but there is no Qt
> kdepimlibs/libakonadi-kde available which would allow access to the new
> Akonadi server.
>
> So distributions that ship other Akonadi using applications will have to
> wait with KDEPIM upgrade until all packaged Akonadi programs have Qt5
> libakonadi based versions available.
> Or have dropped Akonadi now that it is no longer a service for non-KDEPIM
> applications.

Still mostly with my user hat on. I helped a bit with Debian stuff here and
there, especially with bug report triaging, but I do not consider myself a
regular contributor of the Debian Qt/KDE team. So don´t consider my voice
as official.

Actually thats another issue that many IMHO distributions face.

Debian actually has kdepim 15.12 in experimental, yet it is there for a
reason:

merkaba:~> LANG=C apt -t experimental install kdepim
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
[…]
The following additional packages will be installed:
[…]
Suggested packages:
[…]
Recommended packages:
  kdepim-themeditors
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kdeutils kgpg kmymoney kopete libakonadi-calendar4 libakonadi-contact4 libakonadi-kcal4 libakonadi-kde4 libakonadi-kmime4 libkabc4 libkalarmcal2 libkcal4 libkgapi2-2
  libkholidays4 libkolab0v5 libkopete4 libkresources4 libktnef4 libmailtransport4 libplasmaclock4abi4
[…]
2 upgraded, 80 newly installed, 20 to remove and 590 not upgraded.
Need to get 28.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 28.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

At least for users of kmymoney, kopete or kgpg thats unacceptable. For
kopete at least someone could point to kde-telepathy. But kmymoney
is what kept me back from installing these, so I still use self-compiled
kdepim.

merkaba:~> apt-show-versions | egrep "kgpg|kmymoney|kopete" | grep -v i386
kgpg:amd64/experimental 4:15.12.1-1 uptodate
kmymoney:amd64/sid 4.6.6-2 uptodate
kmymoney-common:all/sid 4.6.6-2 uptodate
kopete:amd64/experimental 4:15.12.1-1 uptodate
libkopete4:amd64/experimental 4:15.12.1-1 uptodate

So you see, except for KMyMoney which is separate, thats 15.12 versions here
*still* using Qt4.

Its coordination on such large transitions like Akonadi 4 => 5 that
currently lack what I´d call distro-friendlyness.

Ciao,
--
Martin