How to handle KDE not respecting YOUR distros requirements?

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Mar 27 21:17:37 BST 2016

On Sonntag, 27. März 2016 21:42:26 CEST Martin Graesslin wrote:

> I think that distributions do a disservice to their users and to KDE if they
> for example ship Konqueror as the default web-browser just because it's a
> KDE thing.

From a security point of view, it might even be best to disable webbrowsing
functionality within Konqueror. For qt + gtk webkit check-support-status
(debian package debian-security-support) spits out warnings, not for Konqueror
tough, even tough its both backends webkit and khtml are not really
supportable security-wise currently.

So one can argue that it is a disservice to distributions to actually provide
Konqueror, although as I use I would be very sad to see it go away, as neither
Firefox nor Chromium is as lean and as well integrated.

> Now would that mean that KDE has to end such projects: certainly not. Every
> project has a right to be inside KDE. To a certain degree it's the job of
> the distributions to pick the right set of software. Here I want to remind
> that Plasma does neither depend on KDEPIM, nor on Calligra, nor on Dolphi ,
> nor on Konqueror. We don't even recommend any software.
>
> Maybe Plasma should? If yes I doubt it would list KMail or Calligra. We are
> not living in a bubble, we see the deficits of KDE software and where
> better alternatives are available.

I do think that some kind of quality rating for apps provided under the KDE
umbrella might be helpful.

Or some recommendations of some sort.

And some clear information on what is maintained and what is not maintained
currently. Maybe even with a bit of history. For how long something has not
been maintained?

If Plasma is not one stack, I think some guidance for distributions would be
beneficial. I think that currently Debian Qt/KDE team tries to package as much
as they can (which is *lots*).

For example while I wouldn´t recommend Calligra Suite as a whole yet, I would
definately recommend to include Krita. And I´d probably remove Konqueror in
its current state at least when I am not too scared of the expectable outcry
of users yelling at me for doing it. I know users still love and use it,
despite security concerns. Even I do for some uses – mainly clicking links in
Akregator, not for any authenticated sessions anymore –, fully aware of the
concerns regarding security.

That are just some suggestions of mine, would be interested to see what the
actual packagers would like to see.

Thanks,
--
Martin