Digikam 9.0.0 doesn't write metadata in xmp files

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Sep 11 06:21:16 BST 2026


On jeudi 10 septembre 2026 22:04:02 heure d’été d’Europe centrale Pierre 
DELGOVE wrote:
> Hi everybody !
> 
> I have this problem with Digikam 9.0.0 : it does not write metadata
> correctly in xmp files.
> 
> I does not even create xmp files for files which don't have one already.
> 
Hi,

Sorry, I cannot repeat the issue under OpenSuSE Tumbleweed. 
Digikam writes sidecars for all my files (I add tags and descriptions in 
digikam before transfer to darktable, and it's the sidecar that carries those 
data. Tags etc are visible in darktable...)

> - read and write in xmp files are checked. Writing is set to : Write in 
> xmp file for read only file.

So for e.g. .jpg or .dng, no sidecar should be written (as these file types 
are writable)

> - side car files are compatible with commercial softwares

Do you need this option? (Mostly used for import from Lightroom)
If not, try switching it off.

>I can see changes I had done in Digikam, but it's not the same in xmp 
>files.

Correct, changes are always written to the digikam database. That also means 
that you can create the xmps later through the menu.

Good luck,

Remco




More information about the Digikam-users mailing list