Several problematic user stories

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Fri Mar 31 18:02:48 BST 2023

Today while doing a lot of face-tagging I've encountered several
problematic user stories in digiKam which I thought I would share in the
hope that improvements can be made.

1) I was looking at unconfirmed faces for the people in one of my
albums, and I accidentally clicked the minus ("reject this suggestion")
instead of the checkmark ("accept this suggestion") for one of them. The
photo immediately disappeared from the thumbnails of unconfirmed photos,
as it should. But here's the thing... I can't find any way to undo this.
I have no idea where the photo went or how to find it.

When I do something to a photo by accident which /modifies/ the photo,
then as a workaround I can run a "find" on my pictures directory to look
for recently modified photos and then search for the file name of the
photo I want to get it back. But rejecting a face suggestion doesn't
modify the photo, it just modifies the database, so I can't use that
workaround. Basically that face is now in limbo: I know who it is, but I
don't know how to find the photo in digiKam so I can tag it. I have
thousands of unconfirmed and unknown faces, so it's not a simple matter.

2) Again reviewing suggested people, I double-click on a photo to switch
to preview mode to get a closer look to figure out whether it is indeed
the suggested person. It turns out it's not, but there are several
people in the photo and I know who they are, so I start tagging them.
Part-way through that I get to the person who was suggested, and I tag
them with the correct person's name (not the suggestion), and the photo
immediately disappears.  I'm going to argue that once I've opened a
photo in preview mode it shouldn't disappear even when it's no longer in
the collection I opened it from. It shouldn't go away until you switch
back to thumbnail mode.

3) I encountered a photo with a suggested face which was rotated
incorrectly. The suggestion was correct. I opened the photo in preview
mode and rotated it, but then the face regions weren't right so I told
it to clear the faces so I could rescan for and rerecognize faces. As
above, the photo immediately disappeared. Solution is same as above: a
photo shouldn't disappear in preview mode just because it's no longer in
the collection it was opened from.

4) digiKam suggests a face tag for someone which is incorrect, and in
fact the suggested person is a different person in the same photo. With
that photo thumbnail selected, if you click the minus to reject the
suggestion, the photo moves from where it was in the suggested section
to the confirmed section for the same person, and your scrolling jumps
with it. I don't think you should scroll like that; I think either the
photo should be unselected when it moves, or the selection should move
to the next photo in the suggested photos section.

   jik