Can't run 7.9 or 7.10 AppImage on Ubuntu Lunar (23.04)

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 17:45:35 BST 2023

Hi all,

First the digiKam AppImage is compiled under Ubuntu 18.04 for binary
compatibility. So, it must be compatible with recent Ubuntu versions,
at least at run time.

But don't forget that digiKam relies on Qt which uses a plugin
architecture to dialog with the host system, particularly the X11 or
Wayland window management. Another problematic component is libopenssl
which is constantly updated for the security reasons and breaks the
regressive compatibility (probably because the API is not well
designed at origin).

The X11 compatibility with the Wayland emulation is a problem already
seen. AppImage is only compiled for X11 and Wayland must support it as
well during the long transition stage on the Linux systems.

Don't forget that Ubuntu 23.04 is not yet an LTS release... so take care...

Best

Gilles Caulier