Digikam recursive tags

Henrik Hemrin hehemrin at hemrin.com
Sat Dec 30 14:38:18 GMT 2023

Hello,

I use the metadata. I moved my collection a while ago from macOS to Linux.

When I use digiKam, I write metadata (in addition to data bases), to
file and xmp sidecar (re sidecar, decide if you want t use the digiKam
syntax eg file1.jpg.xmp or what digiKam define as commercial, chexkbox
below, eg file1.xmp), and be observant if you have both type of sidecars
in your files which may cause it reads for you wrong file. I think it
reads meta data in photo files firstly, but read the digiKam
documentation for details.

So, I did not export any of digiKam databases. When I had moved photo
collection incl sidecars, and I took the opportunity to do some
reorganization, I imported them to digiKam (mind settings for reading
metadata in your settings) and let digiKam build new database data. I do
not have any eg face learning data I wanted to keep from old machine.

This worked well for me. But again, I think you can find further details
in the documentation.

Regards
Henrik