[digiKam-users] Feature, plugin, or advice scanning old photos

James Orr james.orr at orrenterprises.us
Wed Oct 26 22:15:52 BST 2022

I've scanned a couple thousand prints into Digikam. Facing the problem you describe, I searched for a good scanner that would do what I needed. I ended up with CanoScan 9000F Mark II as the best compromise between cost and capability.

It allows for multiple images on the platen, and sometimes gets the individual images properly defined. The first requirement is to have the pictures aligned as perfectly as possible with the platen edges. Within the Canon software there is an option to create individual frames for scanning. There are multiple present image ratios as well as user defined ones. Also the output size is adjustable in pixels. The more pixels, the bigger the file. Output can be in one of many formats; I have primarily used tiff.

A bit of care is required to be as free as possible from dust. Dust removal is a nuisance.

Also, the scanner has a top-light so that negatives 35mm up to 120 can be scanned in color and B/W.

On must use the ScanGear part of the software to get good results. It takes a bit of practice to figure out just how to get the output as you want it.

James M. Orr
2705 E Sussex Way
Fresno CA 93726

7

If you could look with wisdom's eye you'd see:
The person that you count on is your foe.
It's better in these days to make few friends,
and always keep your distance when you speak.

The Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyam– Juan Cole (trans) 2020