[digiKam-users] Feature, plugin, or advice scanning old photos

Sveinn í Felli sv1 at fellsnet.is
Wed Oct 26 18:02:21 BST 2022

Þann 26.10.2022 15:47, skrifaði Randy Wolf:
> So... Questions
>
> 1) is there a feature or plugin or technique anyone knows of that would
> make it easy to scan a full platten with several photos and then easily
> split those photos into individual photos with the click of a button?

I mostly scan in Gimp, often several photos at once, diapos or a strip
of film; usually scanning the whole plate and then splitting them up
inside Gimp (copying an area -> 'Paste as new image'). I find it gives
me better control for cropping or fine rotation. Downside is the less
precise scanning controls since the scanner measures the average area.

> 2) does anyone have a technique or best practice for scanning both sides of
> a photo which has writing on the reverse in such a way that the photo and
> the reverse of the photo stay together forever? It'd be cool if photo
> formats had embedded front/back images in single file. I don't want to
> (only) transcribe the writing because sometimes the handwriting itself can
> provide clues about who wrote it, so I want to scan it.

Multi-page TIFFs could be used for that, but used to have plenty of
drawbacks. I've seen PDFs used this way. Personally I just take time to
type this kind of information into the image metadata... ;-(

Just thoughts,

Sveinn í Felli