[digiKam-users] Feature, plugin, or advice scanning old photos

Henrik Hemrin hehemrin at hemrin.com
Wed Oct 26 22:57:39 BST 2022

Adding a few comments from my experience, although not directly answers to your questions.

So far, and I will continue, I use a flat bed scanner and a film scanner. Nowadays I use VueScan (https://www.hamrick.com/) software.

I have just prepared myself with equipment so I also can do repro with a camera. My trigger for that is old photo albums where the photos are glued. I do not dare to rip them out as that will more or less destroy the photos. Nor is it easy to manage in a flat bed. So I am looking forward to try with the camera. Eventually I will test also for heg and pos due to the speed advantage, but prel I will continue with the scanner method. For Tethered camera control and capture, I have tested with Entangle which I think is promising (https://entangle-photo.org/), but that sw is only for those on Linux or BSD. A friend at my photo club has shared two ppt-presentations, text in Swedish but might be of interest. (I have not watch the suggested video below). https://www.erifk.se/presentationer/

Regards
Henrin Hemrin