[digiKam-users] A guide for installing digiKam and MariaDB on Windows 10

ajaxx at tase.com ajaxx at tase.com
Wed Nov 30 13:41:42 GMT 2022

My goal is organize my pictures using digiKam on a Win10 desktop and/or
a Win10 laptop, with a third Win10 desktop acting as a server.

Due in part to my lack of knowledge and difficultly finding instructions
for Windows installations, I struggled to get digiKam and MariaDB setup.
In hindsight, there were things I wish I knew before I started. I
retraced the steps that worked, tested them and packaged them into a
series of instructions.

These instructions are at: http://tase.com/digikam/
- Part 1: Installing digiKam on Windows 10
- Part 2: Installing and configuring MariaDB for digiKam
- Part 3: Migrating digiKam from SQLite to MariaDB

Hopefully, this will give new Windows users a head start on getting
digiKam up and running on Windows 10...  (I evaluated digiKam against
Daminion about six years ago.  I chose to use Daminion - but it was a
bit of a love-hate relationship.  Taking a second look at digiKam in
2022, I was very happy to find a solution that better reflected the way
I want to manage my images.  I think more Windows users should look at
and use digiKam!  I think it is a very good product with an extremely
attractive price :-)

I would appreciate any constructive feedback. I'm always happy to
correct errors and improve these instructions.

Bob Leonard