[digiKam-users] Search for images with resolution greater than X

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jul 4 08:52:31 BST 2022

On lundi 4 juillet 2022 09:35:00 CEST Thomas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How can I search for images with resolution higher than X?

"Resolution" is a somewhat vague term here, it usually refers to pixels or
points per length unit (the infamous "ppi" )

> I specifically want to search for images with a width greater than
> 13.000 px.
>
> Or alternatively, I want to search for images with an aspect ratio in
> which the width is more than double the height?
>
> How can I do either of those things?
>

> What I want to use it for is to locate all panorama images in my
> collection. Panorama images taken with a modern iphone does not all have
> the exact same resolution. Example resolutions of panoramas taken with
> the same phone are 13.214x3.788 px and 10.704x3.814
>

> It seems the advanced search allows the user to search for both height,
> width, aspect ratio as well as pixel size (1, 2, 3 on the screenshot
> below). However, it seems to only accept an exact search criteria and
> not any ">" or "<" operators.

At least in Digikam 7.6.0, both the width and height criteria accept a *range*
of values. That's easy enough to use as a ">": range between 13000 and
6'000'000'000...
"<" is even easier: between 0 and 12999.

OK, this doesn't work for aspect ratio...

Then again, given what you want to do, a height below 4000 and a width above
10000 should give you a good starting point. Perhaps add "landscape" for the
orientation.

And did you check the available exif info? E.g. lens type might have a
difference between normal and panoramic mode.

Remco