[digiKam-users] Organizing photos on multiple Digikam installations and with NAS

Johan Kemnitz johan.kemnitz at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 02:36:45 GMT 2022

Casey, I'm running DK off a single shared DB hosted in MariaDB; files are
on the same server (essentially a NAS) hosting the DB. 90% of the time
clients access via ethernet, it's noticeably slower but still quick enough
over 5GHz WiFi. I used the article you linked as a guide, it definitely
turned out to be less complicated than it initially appeared to be.

I went this route since I wanted multiple clients to be able to access the
same collections, tags, ratings etc. It works reasonably well but there are
limitations:

- right now there does not seem to be a way to also add each client's local
files. If you add client 1's local directories, that will populate to all
the other clients via the shared DK database, and client 2 will look for
the same files in the same locations and run into an error. Last I tried
this half of the NAS collections' folders disappeared from DK.

- there's no great way to work with DK while offline / away from the local
network. This is OK for my purposes right now. There are workarounds: VPN
(to at least talk to the database, though likely slow) or syncing DBs
across clients. Believe latter involves running a SQL server locally on
each client and setting them up to sync with a "primary" DB via replication
<https://mariadb.com/kb/en/standard-replication/>, on the to-do list.

- Browsing / previews slow down a lot if there are a lot of images (>300)
in a folder. Getting around this with sub-folders.

The NAS / shared DB setup is OS-agnostic but not being able to add local
files is a big limitation. Guessing that could be implemented in a way
similar to the local thumbs DB added with 7.4.0 (and enough of us begging
the devs ;) ). If there is a way to do it that I've missed I'd love to know.

The sync'ed DB / shared physical drive is probably more flexible and
responsive, but has its own limitations (only one client can work off the
drive at a time & you have to bring it with you...). As long as your sync
tool is OS-independent that should work too.

Good luck!