[digiKam-users] Organizing photos on multiple Digikam installations and with NAS

Travis Kelley rhatguy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 21:22:09 GMT 2022

I do something similar.  I have a large USB-3 SSD that I have my entire
picture collection sync'd to using Nextcloud.  I store my "golden" copies
of my images on my nextcloud server.  My digikam sqllite databases are
stored on the USB3 SSD also.  If I need to move to another computer, I just
take the USB SSD with me.  That handles the database movement and the gives
me fast local access to everything.  All metadata is stored in the
pictures, so if anything happens to the USB SSD, I just need to get a new
one and let everything re-sync to it through nextcloud.

The one drawback to this system that I can think of is that its not truely
concurrent multi-user.  I can move the USB SSD to any computer I want...but
only 1 computer can access the SSD at a time.

One final hint...don't let nextcloud sync the sqlite database.  It ends up
syncing way to frequently (every time a change is made) and either creates
to much load, or fills up your nextcloud instance.  I figure I can easily
rebuild the digikam db if I loose it since the metadata is in the pictures
anyway.  You can also try pausing nextcloud while you're working in
digikam, then unpause it once your done.  That way you can still sync your
digikam DB for backup purposes or if you just want to, but avoid the
constant syncing if you leave nextcloud running while you work in digikam.