[digiKam-users] Digikam is not finding new items anymore

r bartlett techwritebos at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 14:06:12 GMT 2022

 Hi, I'm sorry to ask this question again but does anyone know if I upgrade from 6.4.0 to 7.4.0 will I lose the images that I've assigned to the folders?  (I use images as a way to easily tell if I've tagged a folder or not, so I'm really hoping if I upgrade that information will be retained.)

Also, someone said that if I upgrade I'll be able to then change the path of the images library without it seeing them as new.  Currently, since I've upgraded my hard drive, Digikam is looking in a location that no longer exists for the albums and I don't want to change that and have Digikam think there's new images, when it's only the path to them that's changed.

For example:

/heres/my/old/path/to/the/same-images
/heres/a/new/path/to/the/same-images
The "same-images" are the same...only the path is changing, but I think Digikam 6.4.0 is going to import them all as fresh, newly found images.  Is that correct?  And (again) by upgrading to 7.4.0 first, I should be able to avoid that?

Lastly, I am running Lubuntu 20.04LTS, if that's germane to the process.  There doesn't seem to be a .deb yet for 7.4.0...should I plan to compile from source or wait for the repository to get a new version?
Thank you very much for the help.  And happy New Year to all.