[digiKam-users] Duplicate images in database, but not in application. "hidden" dupe has right tags - how to restore?

loup+digikamusers at lo-cal.org loup+digikamusers at lo-cal.org
Sun Apr 17 00:05:39 BST 2022

I was recently looking through my images and found a large number of
images missing tags that I KNOW I had assigned to them.

I started investigating and noted that the image files in question had
multiple entries in the "digikam.db" database, as shown in the screenshot:

Most of the entries had "4" in the status column, which I think means
"file missing" or something like that.  One of the entries is "1".

I recently had re-built my computer with a new hard drive and moved
everything over to my new machine.  I thought I had kept everything
clean by just copying over the digikam database and pointing digikam to
it, but I guess something got messed up, because now the database has
multiple entries for the same file.

How do I tell digikam that all of these entries are the same image, and
to use the tags from a particular one of those entries as the "correct"
tags?  For example, in the given screenshot, the image with id 245506
has the right tags, but its status is "4". When I select the image in
digikam, the tags shown are those that correspond with image id 457786.

It would be quite a waste of time to re-tag all of these images. If I
have to do some SQL or python to fix the database, I can do that.  Yes,
I'll make a backup before I try anything weird.

Thank you.

-Ron