[digiKam-users] Import window sees different EXIF data for MPG - is this expected?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 1 16:31:27 BST 2022

On vendredi 1 avril 2022 10:58:23 CEST Pete Lindgren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Digikam 7.6.0
> Windows 10 Pro
>
> In the Import Window (Import > Add Images...), the Metadata tab in the
> right sidebar reads information from a .thm file associated with .mpg
> files. This contains valuable information particularly regarding the
> original creation date of the mpg data.
>
> However, when I import the mpg file, the process does not import the .thm
> file and so once the mpg is in my albums, I no longer have access to the
> additional metadata. Furthermore, even when I manually copy both the MPG
> and THM file into the album directory on my hard drive (outside of digiKam)
> and then refresh the album within digiKam, the main digiKam window does not
> show the additional information for that mpg in the metadata tab of the
> right side bar. It appears as though the 'Import' window is aware of the
> thm file and associates its contents with the MPG, but the main digiKam
> window does not have this functionality.
>
> Is this expected behaviour?
>
> Kind regards,
> Pete
As far as I know, digikam will only read metadata from XMP sidecar files with
extension .xmp.

You can specify other sidecar extensions, which will ensure (on paper) that
such sidecars are copied and moved with the image or video files. As stated in
the settings dialog, such files are never read from, nor written to.

Which makes me wonder why you are sure that digikam's import dialog read the
.thm? Afaik, .mpg files can also contain at least basic metadata, the .thm
mostly provides a thumbnail for quick access.

Remco