[digiKam-users] Digikam MacOS keeps loosing Database on Network Drive

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Oct 8 13:34:40 BST 2021

On vendredi 8 octobre 2021 13:48:46 CEST Alex Antão wrote:
> Hi,
>

>   I have a MacOS, running Catalina and have a network storage with about
> 150Gb of photos and videos, shared to my Mac with Samba.
>
>   This problem is from long time ago, it has been some time it did not
> happen, but today I faced with it again.
>

>   Sometimes, when I close my MacBook, it disconnects the samba share, and
> does not connect again until I ask for it. If digikam is running this
> moment (it is not always that it happens) it just empties it database and
> starts from fresh. For me, it's tooooo bad, it takes hours to scan all my
> database again, and all face recognition or anything similar I have to run
> all again. That's. frustrating....
>

>   Since the collection is configured as a Network Collection this should not
> happen.....

Your images can be in a network collection, but that's not the relevant point
here.

Are the digikam *databases* on that network share?

At least with SQLite and MySQL internal, the preferences dialog in Digikam,
where you set up the location of the databases, explicitly states that those
*can not* be on a remote file system (probably to avoid the exact problem you
describe...). Also a removable filesystem is discouraged.

And with a remote MySQL server, the problem shouldn't occur at all.

Remco