[digiKam-users] Digikam MacOS keeps loosing Database on Network Drive

Alex Antão alex at familiaturista.com.br
Fri Oct 8 13:42:15 BST 2021

Eveything is local, only the photos are on the network share.

Of course that, if the database was on the network share, Digikan would not find it if the share was disconnected, but since it 's 'on local HD it should not loose it, nut if does.

I've posted this problem here long time ago, but it seemed to been fixed, but today it happened again...

---- Ativado Sex, 08 out 2021 09:34:40 -0300 Remco_Viëtor_ <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr> escreveu ----

On vendredi 8 octobre 2021 13:48:46 CEST Alex Antão wrote:
> Hi,
>

>   I have a MacOS, running Catalina and have a network storage with about
> 150Gb of photos and videos, shared to my Mac with Samba.
>
>   This problem is from long time ago, it has been some time it did not
> happen, but today I faced with it again.
>

>   Sometimes, when I close my MacBook, it disconnects the samba share, and
> does not connect again until I ask for it. If digikam is running this
> moment (it is not always that it happens) it just empties it database and
> starts from fresh. For me, it's tooooo bad, it takes hours to scan all my
> database again, and all face recognition or anything similar I have to run
> all again. That's. frustrating....
>

>   Since the collection is configured as a Network Collection this should not
> happen.....

Your images can be in a network collection, but that's not the relevant point
here.

Are the digikam *databases* on that network share?

At least with SQLite and MySQL internal, the preferences dialog in Digikam,
where you set up the location of the databases, explicitly states that those
*can not* be on a remote file system (probably to avoid the exact problem you
describe...). Also a removable filesystem is discouraged.

And with a remote MySQL server, the problem shouldn't occur at all.

Remco