[digiKam-users] Bye bye digikam?

Olivier Croquette ocroquette at free.fr
Wed Jul 28 11:36:50 BST 2021

On 27/07/2021 13:14, Øystein Andresen-Sund wrote:
> Most RAW applications do this, including Adobe Lightroom (unless you
> go to edit mode). Rendering directly from RAW would slow down the
> viewing and browsing process considerably and you would probably see
> an image with different colors than what you see in your camera.
> Try using RawTherapee or Darktable for RAW processing.

Lightroom does something that neither DK, RT or DT do: it caches the
processed image, so that it is what I see when browsing. It is the best
of both world: displaying is quick, but I see what matters to me. Once I
have defined processing settings in RT or DT, the embedded preview in
the RAW file is completely irrelevant and can even more hurt than it
helps if the processing changes the image substantially, for instance
major cropping.

Questions to the developers: would it be thinkable to call RT or DT to
render the image, and store this as preview in the DK database, instead
of the embedded one?