[digiKam-users] XMP sidecar file

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 16:11:04 GMT 2021

Hi,

digiKam use a dedicated XMP namespace to store database properties :

https://www.exiftool.org/TagNames/XMP.html#digiKam

...but it uses the standard place in different namespaces to backport
properties from other photo management programs. In fact
it's to populate the database and to backup information, with the best
interoperability.

When properties are changed by a 3rd party application, you must re-read
metadata from files to update database contents. There is an option from
the Captions tab in the right sidebar, or using maintenance tools.

Also, take a look in the advanced settings panel from the Metadata
configuration dialog page. You can customize the tags to use in priority to
sync the database.

Best regards

Gilles Caulier