[digiKam-users] Help with DeDuplication Deletion Strategy with Multiple Sizes

Chris Poldervaart vaarticus at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 18:59:51 BST 2021

I have consolidated my photos from several sources into a single collection
now managed by digiKam. As you can imagine, I have ended up with several
duplicates in the process.

I started out by executing "Find Duplicates" for each album with the
similarity range of 100% - 100%.  That worked well for getting rid of
several dupes... but I still notice them in my albums.

I switched to a 99%-100% similarity range, and quickly realized what is
going on. I have several different sizes of the same image... so visually
they are identical, but being different sizes had them escaping the 100-100
range.... for good reason. They are actually different. So props to digiKam
for showing me that they are 99% similar... with that 1% difference
essentially being the overall file size.

So now I want to keep the larger of all of the duplicate sizes.

What is the best way to achieve this?

I see sometimes the "Reference Image" is the smaller, so I can't just say
"Remove Duplicates" because that will delete the larger sized versions in
many cases.

I need to be able to ensure the reference image is the larger version, or
find another way to  narrow those as the keepers so I can bulk delete the
other smaller versions.

Any ideas, or tips?

Thanks!