[digiKam-users] Keyword (metadata) consistency between programs

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Tue May 5 22:50:29 BST 2020

- If you check the "sidecar file name compatible with commercial software"
option, the sidecar filename is "filename.xmp". Otherwise is
"filename.jpg.xmp".

- Yes, I was referring to ON1. I couldn't make it to create a XMP sidecar,
so Digikam can read it. Maybe there's an option, but I didn't find it
quickly.

Regarding RAW files, I guess it's normal, since they are not meant to be
edited, so all changes will be saved in sidecar files (I believe this is how
digikam works for RAW files). I still have not tried if ON1 can generate XMP
files for sidecars, and, if that's the case, they can be read by digikam.

There's also the question if ON1 can also read keywords saved directly
inside the picture file (that's how I do it, under the risk of overwriting
the original picture file every time). In that case, maybe digikam and ON1
could interoperate.

I hope things will become more standard in the future. For what I see,
Digikam tries to be as compatible as possible including a number of tags
supported by other software (Adobe Lightroom, Microsoft photos, etc.), but
it also requires that other software embrace that compatibility.

The problem with all that is that these software suites won't exist forever.
At some point, they'll stop being maintained (like what already happened
with Picasa), and I want to be able to switch to another program to manage
my library without losing any data. Even if some software does everything
you need, you still need to think forward when that software does not work
anymore. I am currently using digikam because I believe it's the most
standard one (and also has lots of features) and I'll probably don't lose my
data when it stops being maintained.