[digiKam-users] Keyword (metadata) consistency between programs

Alan H webaccounts at live.com
Tue May 5 21:03:31 BST 2020

Just for a bit of clarity with respect to my experience…
-the 4 th paragraph (If I edit that picture in digicam…): did digicam create the .xmp file in the format “filename.jpg.xmp”?
-the 5th paragraph (However, if I…): were you in ON1 when adding the keyword? Agreed on the second statement. ON1 appears to write JPG metadata (your last question) to its proprietary “filename.on1” sidecar file and creates these files automatically for all JPGs the moment any file in a directory is opened.

When I saw the configuration in digikiam to “Use a compatible file name for writing to sidecar files” and it appeared to create a sidecar in a format very similar to ON1’s, I thought I had at last found two apps for which the metadata sidecars would be interchangeable. It seems though that there is still some confusion about how they process each others sidecars.

It gets more confusing when .raw files come into the mix as I tried to show in previous posts. On1 writes a raw file’s metadata to a .raw sidecar but also seems to include (some?) raw metadata in the .on1 sidecar file, along with all of the parametric commands for whatever non-destructive edits are done. Again, in my experience, if the .on1 sidecar was, in particular, created by digikam both apps have difficulty writing/reading/parsing the JPG and RAW blocks appropriately.

Regarding the last question, I have opened a ticket with ON1 somewhat on that subject – how to get ON1 to read digikam’s filename.jpg.xmp and filename.raw.xmp files. Tech support got back to me and said they had to pass it up to their developers since they did not have an answer. I’ll try to steer the inquiry to writing to “proper” xmp sidecars as well. I’ll pass that info along when (hopefully) I have it.

This isn’t just a digicam vs ON1 issue. I have found sidecar compatibility issues between other popular photo processors – Luminar, DXO PL, Exposure, Affinity – that are trying to provide DAMs (or even just non-destructive editing sidecars). It is such a contentious issue in DXO that the user forum regularly advocates staying away from the DAM game and stick to what they do best.