[digiKam-users] Keyword (metadata) consistency between programs

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Tue May 5 17:10:05 BST 2020

Ok, so I installed both (On1 and Digikam) in a windows machine. I told
digikam to read and save all data to .xmp sidecars. I also told ON1 not to
save metadata and edits to .on1 files.

I first wanted to test the most basic assumption, that both can write and
read from sidecar files, so they can exchange information.

For that purpose, I created a directory which will be the picture library
for both Softwares, and I put a simple JPG picture I got online (with no
metadata).

If I edit that picture in digikam and add a keyword, I can see it generates
a .xmp file and the keyword is there, under a number of sections
<digiKam:TagsList>, <MicrosoftPhoto:LastKeywordXMP>,
<lr:hierarchicalSubject>, <mediapro:CatalogSets> and <dc:subject>.

However, if I take that same picture (the original one without metadata) and
I add a keyword, no .xmp sidecar is generated (and the metadata is not
embedded in the picture either). Moreover, it seems that the next time you
start ON1, it activates the saving to .on1 files again automatically.

If I add a keyword from ON1, digikam does not seem to see it. And
vice-versa.

So, how do you tell ON1 to store the metadata in a .xmp sidecar file?