[digiKam-users] status of the face detecting?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 8 12:07:58 BST 2020

On lundi 8 juin 2020 12:39:08 CEST Gilles Caulier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay, but we are busy with students working while
> Google Summer of Code this year, about...
>
> ...Face Engine (DNN) and Face Workflow (GUI)...
>
> The students work and progress well. There will be a blog about the
> project advancement soon. One has just posted this one :
>
> https://kart1kx.wordpress.com/2020/06/05/reordering-the-people-sidebar-in-di
> gikam/
>
> and so yes, to respond to your original message, dysfunctions still
> here in current 7.0.0. This is why we have 2 students this year
> working on faces management.
>
> So the optimisations and improvements will appear after this summer,
> and after we backport students branch the master code.
>
> Now, I open an important question for everyone in this room (students,
> end users, developers) :
>
> "It's judicious to release digiKam 7.0.0 following the planned date
> before this summer, or we need to wait a little bit after this summer
> to integrate all faces management fixes ???"

You seem to be quite close to a release already, with just one or two RC
releases, and a lot of bug fixes ready for release. It might be useful to have
those in a stable version once that is ready (perhaps after 1 or 2 RC
releases), and keep the face recognition changes for the next update, once
they are properly integrated and tested.

Whether you want to call a release before summer 6.5.0 or 7.0.0 depends on how
you use the version numbers...

Remco