[digiKam-users] status of the face detecting?

Jack Marxer jmarxer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 14:03:02 BST 2020

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 12:39 PM Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay, but we are busy with students working while
> Google Summer of Code this year, about...
>
> ...Face Engine (DNN) and Face Workflow (GUI)...
>
> The students work and progress well. There will be a blog about the
> project advancement soon. One has just posted this one :
>

> https://kart1kx.wordpress.com/2020/06/05/reordering-the-people-sidebar-in-digikam/
>
> and so yes, to respond to your original message, dysfunctions still
> here in current 7.0.0. This is why we have 2 students this year
> working on faces management.
>
> So the optimisations and improvements will appear after this summer,
> and after we backport students branch the master code.
>
> Now, I open an important question for everyone in this room (students,
> end users, developers) :
>
> "It's judicious to release digiKam 7.0.0 following the planned date
> before this summer, or we need to wait a little bit after this summer
> to integrate all faces management fixes ???"
>
> I'm waiting for constructive responses.

Well, I would sure like to have better face recognition in digiKam. I'm
using Version 7.0.0-beta3 and enjoying it, but I don't even try to use face
recognition now. Maybe working more now with students will enable a quicker
release of digiKam with usable face recognition.
Again, thanks for all the work you all are doing on digiKam.
Jack