[digiKam-users] Organize a "smart"" group in DigiKam

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 25 05:53:36 GMT 2020

On Monday, 24 February 2020 20:42:04 CET roshum2 at gmail.com wrote:
> I use DigiKam to organize my photographs. These photographs are placed in
> folders, most of the time on monthly basis.
>
> Recently I went on holiday and made a lot of photographs. These photographs
> are in several sub folders (one folder for each family member).
>
> Since there are more than 5000 photographs I want to make a sub selection.
> So far I found 2 options:
>
> *	Create a new album and copy or move the selected photographs.
> Drawback is that or photographs are doubled or moved. Both are unwanted.
> *	Add a tag to the selected photographs, such that collection can be
> filtered. Drawback is that you have at least 2 different filter
> options/actions.
>
> What I'm looking for is that a new album is created and that a reference is
> made to a selected photograph. Something like this exists in Lightroom.
>
> Does this functionality exist in DigiKam?

Not as such, but advanced searches (which can be quite complicated) can be
stored under a name for later reuse. In my experience, while setting up the
search can take some time, getting the results is fast (for 30 000 -- 40 000
files).

Perhaps tagging + advanced serach could work in your case?

Remco