[digiKam-users] XMP sidecar

Phil philtuckey at free.fr
Mon Feb 24 02:40:27 GMT 2020

Le 23/02/20 à 17:07, Remco Viëtor a écrit :
> On Saturday, 22 February 2020 12:08:55 CET leoutation at gmx.fr wrote:
>> Hi
>> Some questions about XMP.
>> I only use XMP sidecar metadata, never exif or else. I select read +
>> write sidecar files.
>> Option 'write to item and XMP sidecar': does it really write to image
>> files? I see this setting updates or creates XMP files but it doesnt
>> modify image file. In this case what 'item' means, what's different with
>> 'write to XMP sidecar only' ?
>> Greetings
>> --
>> Maderios
> I'm not sure all items accept XMP metadata.
>
> E.g. raw files have no provision for XMP (or IPTC) metadata. In addition,
> writing to raw files has to be set separately, is marked as experimental, and
> might not be possible for your raw format.
>
> Jpg, tiff, and png files should accept XMP metadata, afaik.
>
> Remco

Remco: Maderios is talking about XMP sidecars, not about writing XMP
metadata into image files.

Maderios:
I also normally only write metadata into sidecars. However I just tested
'write to item and XMP sidecar' and it does update both the sidecar and
the image, in my case a jpg.
Are you really checking if the image file has changed (e.g. diff against
a copy of the original or exiftool to check the tags), or just looking
at the modification date?
Do you have 'Update file modification timestamp when files are modified'
selected?
Are your image files write protected?
Philip