[digiKam-users] XMP sidecar

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sun Feb 23 06:37:39 GMT 2020

On Saturday, 22 February 2020 12:08:55 CET leoutation at gmx.fr wrote:
> Hi
> Some questions about XMP.
> I only use XMP sidecar metadata, never exif or else. I select read +
> write sidecar files.
> Option 'write to item and XMP sidecar': does it really write to image
> files? I see this setting updates or creates XMP files but it doesnt
> modify image file. In this case what 'item' means, what's different with
> 'write to XMP sidecar only' ?
> Greetings
> --
> Maderios
I'm not sure all items accept XMP metadata.

E.g. raw files have no provision for XMP (or IPTC) metadata. In addition,
writing to raw files has to be set separately, is marked as experimental, and
might not be possible for your raw format.

Jpg, tiff, and png files should accept XMP metadata, afaik.

Remco