[digiKam-users] Comparing jpg files in directories with subdirectories to remove duplication etc.

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 09:09:57 GMT 2020

Hi Thomas,
Very many thanks for the suggestion.  I have installed jdupes and have been amazed.  It seems to do exactly what I wanted and more!

I created a testing directory with copies of the files with questioned provenance and ran it recursively without any options set just to see the results and this has immediately raised a question about the sources for the pairs of files:

One set has just one directory of files.  These are shown with file names that are just the date of the image;day date and ToD in hr,min & sec as in 2009-10-22_11-14-23.jpg:

The other set is in annual and subdirectories for each day but the subdirectories have images numbered as in IMG_1246.JPG.

I suspect they have been downloaded using different software but most of the images are duplicates.

Until I become more familiar with digiKam I am going to keep one set in an archive folder separate from digiKam just in case I find some anomalies or issues with the metadata.

Very many thanks again, your reply is much appreciated.
Regards,
Budge