[digiKam-users] How to start a completely new and separate digikam from appimage?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Nov 26 09:33:07 GMT 2019

woenx <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Alternatively, you can launch digikam from a command line with the
> --database-directory <dir> parameter, so it uses a clean database in another
> directory.

Yes, but there needs to be a clear explanation somewhere that comes to
hand quickly/easily that a clean database will effectively produce a
clean new install.  One usually expects that a new configuration file
will produce a clean installation but with digikam this isn't so.

My expectation (which is the way things are with many programs) is
that the location of the database and of the albums would be set in
the configuration file.  If this isn't so (as it isn't with digikam)
this should be made clear at the beginning of the documentation.

It does seem to me that there are a lot of questions/problems relating
to this issue.

--
Chris Green
ยท