[digiKam-users] How to start a completely new and separate digikam from appimage?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Nov 26 10:22:15 GMT 2019

> On mardi 26 novembre 2019 01:00:27 CET Chris Green wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 05:39:14PM -0600, woenx wrote:
> > > Alternatively, you can launch digikam from a command line with the
> > > --database-directory <dir> parameter, so it uses a clean database in
> > > another directory.
> >
> > Surely a clean configuration file is a good idea as well.
> >

> > It would be good to have this clearly outlined somewhere as it can be
> > quite confusing and difficult.
>
> Of course having everything clearly outlined would be good. But that would
> mean a significant number of extra pages to wade through to find what you
> want, or having a *good* index (which requires a tremendous amount of work to
> create and maintain, just a generated list of terms with page references is
> not enough).

Yes, I realise it's not easy, but even quite a short paragraph
somewhere 'obvious' (as in seen by new users/installers) seems to me
to be a good idea.

> > I.e. where are the following
> > confuguration items stored:-
> >
> >     Database name - is this saved anywhere?  If it isn't saved
> >     anywhere is there a default name and location.  I know it can be
> >     changed by a command line parameter.
>
> Database file *names* are (perhaps) not stored in digikamrc, but there is a
> line in mine
> "Database File Path=<xxxxx>", and also a line
> "Album Path=<xxxx>".
> As DK uses 3 or 4 databases, having standard names is perhaps not such a bad
> idea...

There's neither of those in my ~/.config/digikamrc, if I search for
'Path' (ignoring case) I see:-
    DefaultPath=
    tagPaths=1
    Internal Database Server Path=
    OutputPath=file:///home/chris/doc

... and if I search for 'database' I see:-
    [Database Settings]
    Database Connectoptions=
    Database Hostname=
    Database Name=/chris/digikam/
    Database Name Face=/chris/digikam/
    Database Name Similarity=/chris/digikam/
    Database Name Thumbnails=/chris/digikam/
    Database Password=
    Database Port=-1
    Database Type=QSQLITE
    Database Username=
    Internal Database Server=false
    Internal Database Server Mysql Init Command=
    Internal Database Server Mysql Server Command=
    Internal Database Server Path=
    CleanupDatabase=false
    CleanupFacesDatabase=false
    CleanupThumbDatabase=false
    ShrinkDatabases=false

(I have an odd setup with the digikam databases stored in /chris/digikam/
because that is a faster, separately mounted disk drive)

So, yes, the database[s] location is stored in the config file, but
there doesn't seem to be any album path set.

> >     Configuration file name and location - I know this defaults to
> >     ~/.config/digikamrc which is fairly standard (though it would
> >     really be more 'standard' to be ~/.config/digikam/digikamrc).
>
> Those *have* to have a default, or the program cannot start without a correct
> command line parameter, more complicated than necessary for normal use.
> The name and location look pretty standard for a KDE program, which Digikam
> is, or at least was originally (and creating a config directory for one or two
> config files seems overkill, IMO).

Yes, they do need a default and as I said it is "fairly standard",
I've no real problem with this. :-)

--
Chris Green