[digiKam-users] How to start a completely new and separate digikam from appimage?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 26 10:26:58 GMT 2019

On mardi 26 novembre 2019 10:33:07 CET Chris Green wrote:
> woenx <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Alternatively, you can launch digikam from a command line with the
> > --database-directory <dir> parameter, so it uses a clean database in
> > another directory.
>
> Yes, but there needs to be a clear explanation somewhere that comes to
> hand quickly/easily that a clean database will effectively produce a
> clean new install.  One usually expects that a new configuration file
> will produce a clean installation but with digikam this isn't so.

That depends on what you call a "clean new installation".

I may hope that removing the digikamrc file will *not* touch the data (of
which the database is a part).

Otoh, I'd rather not see creating a new database remove all the careful
configuration of defaults I did in the program (e.g. displayed metadata,
sidecar use and data, ...)

> My expectation (which is the way things are with many programs) is
> that the location of the database and of the albums would be set in
> the configuration file.  If this isn't so (as it isn't with digikam)
> this should be made clear at the beginning of the documentation.

Did you notice the "Album Path=" and "Database File Path=" entries in
digikamrc ([Album Settings] section)? Looks like those give the location of
the databases (not the names!) and of the album roots (they do on my
system...).
So those two items *are* set in the configuration file, as you expect (and
have been defined by the user through the digikam GUI, btw).

> It does seem to me that there are a lot of questions/problems relating
> to this issue.
No comment...