[digiKam-users] Importing from a local folder

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Wed May 29 15:16:44 BST 2019

On mercredi 29 mai 2019 15:21:16 CEST Dougie Nisbet wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

No problem

> Yes this is something that's impressed me a lot so far. It looks like I
> can even rename files and digikam will cope quickly and automatically. I
> often rename image files automatically using a script based on the image
> tags. This is helpful if I want to store them somewhere else - e.g.
> Dropbox - and perform searches for particular photos.

I avoid renaming images from outside Digikam once they are in the Dk database:
I use raw format almost exclusively, and it's very easy to forget renaming the
sidecar files used to store the metadata in parallel with the database, as I
use darktable as my main editor. And the sidecar allows transfer of metadata
between the two programs (not perfect, as some fields are used in a different
way, like color tags).
Also, I don't know what happens with a jpeg that is renamed from outside
Digikam...

Of course, renaming on export/copy shouldn't be a problem.

As for searches, Digikam as a very powerful search function named "advanced
search", but it's perhaps not the easiest to learn (as there are a lot of
searchable fields, and several ways to combine fields).

Remco