[digiKam-users] Just over 100k photos - mysql internal or sqlite

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Wed May 29 11:23:57 BST 2019

Since I'm just starting out with digikam I thought this was the time to
experiment with migrating to mysql. On the configuration screen digiKam
can find the binary for mysql_install_db but not mysqld. mysqld is
installed and when I use 'find' to tell it that the binary is in
/usr/sbin/mysqld it looks promising.

However, trying to migrate the database gives the pop-up error window:

An error occurred during the internal server start.

Details: Could not start database initialiser.

Executable: mysql_install_db

Arguments: --datadir=/store1/images/.mysql.digikam/db_data,
--defaults-file=/tmp/.mount_digikaJbT7bS/usr/share/digikam/database/mysql-global.conf

Process error: Unknown error

and on the command line I see:

Digikam::DatabaseServer::processErrorLog: Arguments:
"--datadir=/store1/images/.mysql.digikam/db_data,
--defaults-file=/tmp/.mount_digikaJbT7bS/usr/share/digikam/database/mysql-global.conf"
Digikam::DatabaseServer::processErrorLog: Stdout: "Neither host 'office'
nor 'localhost' could be looked up with\n'/usr/sbin/resolveip'\nPlease
configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct\nhostname.\nIf you
want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script\nwith the
--force option\n\nThe latest information about mysql_install_db is
available
at\nhttps://mariadb.com/kb/en/installing-system-tables-mysql_install_db\n"

which is a bit off. resolveip is a command I didn't know existed but
running it returns a local IP address for my host.

Performance using sqlite seems ok, and at just over 100k images I'm
probably a borderline case so I thought I would try the mysql database
option out of curiosity.