[digiKam-users] v6.1 installation

Milton Bliss milton at miltonbliss.com
Fri Jun 21 21:55:16 BST 2019

I may have missed previously published answers to my questions, but it is not for lack of searching and reading. If I’ve missed, please direct me.
My goal is to stop using Mac OSX Photos, it’s library system is insufficient for my photography addiction. Digikam seems really useful therefore I’d like to use it. Which leads to a set of questions:
1) Which OS should I use? The documents state for both Windows and OSX, not as stable under MacOS as under Linux Ok, I’ll use Linux. But which? I choose Ubuntu 18.04, then installed with “apt-get install digikam” which provided v5.2. - It seems v6.1 would be a nice place to start.
2) How does one install an AppImage - the instructions suggest AppImageLauncher. So I download AppImageLauncher and unzip it.
3) How does one install AppImageslauncher ? From a terminal window in the unzipped directory I entered “sudo apt install appImageLauncher” which responds
Reading package list … Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package appimagelauncher
4) It seems I’ve missed downloading a critical piece. Where is it?

Any documentation or direction would be most appreciated. I’ve wondered if Ubuntu is a bad choice as Digikam is a KDE application, and Ubuntu uses Gnome. I’d be happy to use another OS, but which?