[digiKam-users] v6.1 installation

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 21 22:49:24 BST 2019

It's actually easier than you think.

Ok, so the last stable version of Digikam is 6.1 (get it here:
https://www.digikam.org/download/ ), and the last unstable/testing builds
prior to the 6.2 version are there https://files.kde.org/digikam/

I recommend the latter, as some new features have been implemented and bugs
fixed. I personally have tried digikam under Windows and Linux and both work
equally well. There may be some hiccup here and there, but generally it is
more than fine. So if you want to use it under Mac OS, I'd say go for it.

The versions on official repositories tend to be very outdated, do not use
them (if only someone would create and maintain a ppa for ubuntu...). Get
the file ending in qtwebkit-x86-64.appimage if you are using linux. The one
with qtwebengine is still very unstable, so avoid it for now.

You don't need AppImageLauncher at all, although it can be useful. More onto
that later.

So, in order to use an Appimage, you don't need to install anything at all.
Just double click on the Appimage. If nothing happens, make sure the file
has execution rights (right click, properties, permissions, and check the
execution box).

Et voilĂ ! Digikam should have started.

Now, if you think that having to launch digikam by double-clicking that
.appimage file everytime is quite tedious, you can use AppImageLauncher. It
is a small program that basically will automatically copy the .appimage file
to a folder in /home/user/Applications and create shortcuts so it appears in
the main menu. That's basically it. To install it, get it from here:
https://github.com/TheAssassin/AppImageLauncher/releases/tag/v1.3.0-beta-1 ,
download the appropriate version for your distribution, and install it (if
it's a .deb file, just double-clicking on it should work). Maybe you have to
reboot later, I don't know.

And that's it.

tl;dr; Get the appimage, give it execution rights, and double click it.